The Department gives focus on service delivery through mass vaccination, deworming, skill up gradation and awareness campaign on preventive & animal health care measures. To achieve this goal the Society for Prevention of Animal Diseases (SPAD) was registered under Society Registration act 1860 (Act XXI) on 18.05.2007 and presently functioning at the Directorate of Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Services, Odisha, Cuttack.
The major objectives of the society are as follows.
1. To co-ordinate with the other Departments & agencies in organizing trainings, seminars, workshop & animal health improvement activities.
2. To raise public awareness and community participation through appropriate social mobilization for improvement of Livestock Health Status of Odisha.
3. To mobilize resources from all possible sources with the approval of Governing Body to foster the cause of Livestock Development through proper restoration of animal health.
4. Generate subsistence income and gainful employment by providing training to field veterinary staff for control and prevention of Bacterial and viral diseases.
5. To Improve & maintain standard quality of Veterinary Biological products in production & marketing keeping pace with the changing trends.
6. To facilitate the process for complying with GMP & GLP norm and acquiring for ISO - 9002 certification. (Total Quality management).
7. To facilitate appropriate Research Work for proper improvement of animal health & to provide specific extension pertaining to Livestock healthcare and management.
8. To ensure Proper Disease Surveillance, Epidemiological survey and forecasting to combat contagious diseases of Livestock and Poultry.
9. To provide the quality vaccine at village level farmer’s doorstep.
10.Recycling of funds generated by sale of Inputs and services for sustainability of animal health activities.
11.To disseminate appropriate technology by undertaking proper investigation and study for prevention & control of diseases through seeking co-operation from farmers.
12.To protect farmers interest of reducing environmental pollution.
13.To facilitate expert potentialities of Biological by establishing contact with similar institutions in India and abroad for securing services & expertise to obtain requisite equipments & instruments for the purpose.
Financial resource of the Society and Accounts:
Grants from Government of India and Government of Odisha or from any donor agency or donations received from any known source. Funds generated as User Fees relating to maintenance of animal health, rental and other charges for accommodation and use of facilities as would be decided by the governing body. The society assists during emergency to procure vaccine, medicines as well as mobility during natural calamities. Besides, the funds of the Society is utilized for strengthening OBPI, DDL, CIL & ADRI, for training & awareness Programme, animal health control programme and mass deworming of animals.